Peach Season on the Shoreline (plus recipe)
It’s peach season! While I definitely don’t count down to the end of summer, when we get into the end of August, I’m definitely counting down until the peaches ripen at Bishop’s Orchards. When Bishop’s Orchards opens their pick-your-own peaches, they open the best tasting peaches on the Shoreline.
Pick Your Own peaches opened on August 21 this year and will continue until mid-September. Their soft, fuzzy-skinned freestone peaches are full of color and sweetly juicy with each bite - and a don’t miss this summer. Enjoy strolling the farm’s orchards picking fresh sun rip fruit straight from the vine. Can’t wait until you get home, don’t worry, Bishop’s has a “sin bin” to cover any fruit you enjoy while out in the field. We know it happens, and all contributions support local charities.
Walk into Bishop's Farmers Market and you'll find fresh seasonal foods made daily, fresh produce, baked goods, ice creams, specialty cheeses and so much more. Stop in for warmed apple cider and cider donuts, or live like a local and get all of your grocery needs.
Find wines and ciders made straight from the fruits grown on Bishop's Orchards. Each specialty fruit wine is created by on-site winemaker, Keith Bishop, highlighting the annual farm-grown fruits of apples, peaches, pears, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. Stop by for a tasting or tour year round.
Pick Your Own
At Bishop’s Orchards they work hard and take pride in growing the highest quality fruits to enjoy year after year from their family to yours. All the fresh products are available either seasonally at their Pick-Your-Own (PYO) locations and/or annually at their farm market.
The newest and sweetest addition to Bishop’s Orchards. They’ve always offered the best ice cream around, but now offer window-side convenience at the sweetest farm ice cream stand.
1355 Boston Post Road
Guilford, CT 06437
Getting to the PYO orchard. Drive through the farm market’s parking lot and turn left onto Long Hill Road. Turn left onto New England Road, you’ll notice Guilford High School on your left hand side. Drive past and you’ll see Pick Your Own on the right-hand side.
Went a little crazy with all those peaches! We totally understand, and we’ve got the perfect recipe for you to use up every single peach you picked from our friend’s at The Savour Cafe & Bakery in Centerbrook.
The Savour Cafe & Bakery
Savour brings the Charm of a French bakery and cafe to the heart of the CT River Valley. Located in Centerbrook, CT, they feature delicious desserts, sandwiches, salads & select daily entrees. They use only the freshest ingredients and skillfully handcraft all of our menu selections.
The Savour Cafe & Bakery
90 Main Street
Peach Almond Crostata by The Savour Cafe & Bakery in Centerbrook
This Peach Crostata offers the perfect balance between crispy crust and juicy ripe local peaches. It’s the perfect way to hold on to those last days of summer.
8 ounces all-purpose flour
4 ounces cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 ounces sugar
6 ounces butter, cold and cubed
1 ounce egg yolks
3 ounces water, cold
1. Combine dry ingredients and cold butter in a food processor until fine.
2. Place mixture into large mixing bowl.
3. Combine egg yolks and water.
4. Add egg yolk mixture to butter mixture and mix until dough holds together.
5. Be careful not to over mix, butter chunks are okay.
6. Wrap dough in a disc shape and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 3 days.
Almond Peach Filling
5 cups peaches, peeled and sliced
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup almonds, sliced and toasted
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1. Combine all ingredients and allow to sit while preparing the crumb topping
Almond Crumb Topping
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oats
1/3 cup almonds, sliced and toasted
2 1/2 ounces butter, cold and cubed
1. Combine all ingredients in a mixer with a paddle attachment.
2. Mix until crumb comes together and begins to form small clumps
Assembling the Crostata
1. Roll Chilled Crostada Dough into a round approximately 1/8 inch thick.
2. Mound Almond Peach Filling in the Center of the rolled out dough.
3. Brush edges of dough with egg wash to help stick.
4. Fold in the dough, pleating the edges, to hold in the filling.
5. Brush exposed dough with cream and then dust with sugar.
6. Cover exposed filling with Almond Crumb Topping.
7. Bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes, should be brown and juices bubbling.